Donald Trump has reached a settlement with Mexican-born activists who have filed a lawsuit over an alleged attack by his security guards, a lawyer for the former US president has said.
Several activists have filed a lawsuit alleging Mr Trump’s bodyguards violently broke up a protest they were organizing outside Trump Tower in New York in 2015.
They were demonstrating against derogatory comments Mr Trump had made about Mexicans, saying they brought drugs and crime to the United States and were “rapists”.
Lawyers for both sides met in recent days as another trial opened in New York, in which the Trump family business faces fraud and tax evasion charges.
“While we were eager to proceed to trial to demonstrate the frivolity of this matter, the parties were ultimately able to reach an amicable resolution,” Trump attorney Alina Habba said of the settlement on Wednesday. evening.
“We are very satisfied with this result and are happy to finally be able to put an end to this matter once and for all.”
An attorney for the New York activists, Benjamin Dictor, said his clients were “proud” to have “obtained Donald Trump’s written acknowledgment of their right to protest on the public sidewalk”.
“Powerful men can put their names on buildings, but the sidewalk will always belong to the people,” he added in an email.
The plaintiffs had alleged that Donald Trump’s guards tore down their signs and punched and strangled one of the protesters during the September 3, 2015 protest.
In October last year, Mr Trump testified for four and a half hours in the case in a videotaped deposition, giving his version of what happened in what he called a “story ridiculous”.
He had previously said he feared protesters would bombard him with “very dangerous” fruits like pineapples, tomatoes and bananas saying, “You can get yourself killed with these things”.
(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
Featured Video of the Day
Mission 2024: KCR’s scathing allegations against the BJP