- Government Launches YUVA – Prime Minister’s Young Author Mentorship Program
- Young writers to pay tribute to heroes of India’s freedom struggle to mark India celebrations @ 75
The Ministry of Education, Department of Higher Education, today launched YUVA – Prime Minister’s Scheme For Mentoring Young Authors, an author mentoring program aimed at training young and aspiring authors (under the age of 30 ) to promote reading, writing and book culture in the country, and project India and Indian writing globally.
The launch of YUVA (Young, future and versatile authors) is aligned with PM’s vision of encouraging young writers to write about the struggle for freedom in India. It was during Mann ki Baat on January 31, 2021 that Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi called on the younger generation to write about freedom fighters, freedom incidents, the saga of valor during the period. of freedom struggles in their respective fields – as the best tributes to India’s freedom heroes – as we celebrate 75 years of Indian independence.
“It will also prepare a class of opinion leaders who will decide the course of the future,” the prime minister said.
YUVA is part of the India @ 75 project (Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav) to highlight the perspectives of the young generation of writers on themes such as unsung heroes, freedom fighters, unknown and forgotten places and their role in the national movement, etc. related themes in innovative and creative ways. This program will thus help develop a flow of writers able to write on a range of topics to promote Indian heritage, culture and knowledge system.
The National Book Trust, India, under the aegis of the Ministry of Education as the implementing agency, will ensure the phased execution of the program according to well-defined mentoring steps. Books prepared under this program will be published by National Book Trust, India; and will also be translated into other Indian languages ensuring the exchange of culture and literature, thus promoting “Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat”. The selected young authors will interact with some of the best authors in the world; participate in literary festivals, etc.
NEP 2020 has focused on empowering young minds and creating a learning ecosystem that can prepare young readers / learners for leadership roles in the future world. In this context, YUVA will go a long way to lay the foundations for future leaders of the creative world.
Highlights of YUVA (young, future and versatile authors):
- A total of 75 authors will be selected in an All India competition that will take place as part of https://www.mygov.in/ from June 1 to July 31, 2021.
- The winners will be announced on August 15, 2021.
- Young authors will be trained by eminent authors / mentors.
- Under the mentorship, manuscripts will be prepared by December 15, 2021 for publication.
- The published books will be launched on January 12, 2022 on the occasion of National Youth Day (Yuva Diwas).
- A consolidated scholarship of Rs.50,000 per month for a period of six months per author will be paid as part of the mentoring program